Getting someone under the age of 25 to look up from their phone seems almost impossible. While it is hard for our family and friends to get our attention, a brand or company may really struggle when it comes to figuring out how to advertise to millennial. A simple answer: A sponsored ad on social media.
WHY? Social media is the way to advertise to millennials because we are seriously ALWAYS on our phones.
- It was found in 2015 that teenagers spend an average of 9 hours a day on social media. That means 9 hours of our day are spent scrolling through Facebook, then Instagram, then Snapchat, repeat. (CNN)
- We pay attention to social media more than things like a billboard or TV because it is often right in front of us
- It is almost guaranteed we’ll notice your product if it shows up in the middle of our Instagram feed.
- When I scroll through Instagram and see a sponsored ad that is a picture of a well paired outfit, it draws me in to the account and I often end up on the stores website.
HOW? The ad needs to be modern and appealing to youth in order to catch our eye. Along with looks, they also need to be relevant to what is currently happening. This is why social media is the way to go. Each social media platform is catered to advertising certain things. Instagram is more successful in advertising things such as clothing or food, while Snapchat is strong in showcasing a variety of things. It can range from the election to a new movie to beauty and fashion, and almost everything in between.
Many brands have celebrities advertise their product for them through product placement on their Instagram.
The post usually doesn’t look like a typical advertisement. Product placement can be achieved by sending someone with a large social media following to something like a music festival in their clothing and simply asking them to post a picture of them there in their clothes. Others have the celebrity holding the product or using it in a setting that is their everyday life, and their caption is them raving about the product.
The way we see it is, if the celebrity is using it and “loving” it then it must be worth the money. While, some people add the hashtags “#ad” or “#sponsored” to their post, it still drives fans to go and take a look at the product advertised.
Sponsor a Snapchat Selfie lens
A selfie lens is a silly interactive filter on Snapchat that adds various effects to your snap. A few examples are a dog that sticks out its tongue when you open your mouth or one that alters your face to make your eyes super big or your head into a pear shape.
The first filter that pops up is the sponsored one. So not only would your advertisement be fun and interactive it would be the first one Snapchat users see.
It is seen that many companies have benefited from sponsoring a filter: (AdWeek):
- Men’s Wearhouse created a filter during prom season and had a 48% engagement rate among 1,800 high schools
- Michael Kors’ put out a lens for #NationalSunglassesDay that received 100 million views and increased purchase intent 2.1 times above normal rates.